Read about our commitment to our members’ privacy.
Last modified: May 30, 2014
The Take It Away, Inc. team respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our business practices, policies, and operational controls. Take It Away is a community-oriented, family-friendly company, and we value the trust our Members place in us by asking us into their homes and businesses.
This Privacy Statement describes Take It Away’s practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing the various types of information we may receive from you in person, from your various forms of communication with us, and from your visits to www.takeitaway.com (our “Site”) or the use of any Take It Away mobile application (an “App.”)
This statement applies to information collected from you and/or your authorized representatives:
- in person during Take It Away concierge consultations and service visits;
- during telephone conversations;
- in emails, texts, instant messages, chats and other electronic messages;
- on the various forms used to deliver our services (service orders, inventories, labels, and forms which ask you to make good-faith estimates of the fair market value of items that you entrust to us for storage and other services);
- through our Site and App, including other software/applications you may download from them;
- when you interact with our advertising, promotions, and applications on third-party websites and services if links to this statement are included.
It does not apply to information collected:
- by us through any other means, including any other website operated by Take It Away, Inc. or any third party (including affiliates, subsidiaries and franchisees);
- by any third party, including through any application, content or advertising that may link to or be accessible from the Site/App.
Please read this statement carefully to understand how we will treat your information. If you do not agree with our privacy policies and practices, your choice is to not use our services or Site/App. By contacting our concierges, requesting our services, or accessing our Site/App, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement. We update this statement from time to time to better serve our Members and other users. Your use of our services/Site/App after such changes confirms your acceptance of them, so you may wish to check back periodically.
Take It Away’s policies and procedures are designed to protect your children’s privacy as well as your own. Our services and Site/App are not intended for children under eighteen (18) years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you are younger than 18, do not contact a Take It Away concierge or provide any information via our Site/App or any link or feature. Do not create an account, register on the Site/App, use any of their interactive or public comment features, or provide any information about yourself to us (including name, address, telephone, email, or any user/screen name you may use). If we learn we have inadvertently collected or received personal information from a child without verification of parental consent, we will delete it. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect information from and about users of our services and Site/App, including:
- information by which you may be personally identified; such “Personal Information” may include name, address, email, telephone, credit card information, and details about items you own or control and for which you have requested services or pricing;
- information that is about you but does not individually identify you, such as details about your services, items, accounts, service locations, and other related “Storage and Property Services Information” which we may collect, anonymize and aggregate in order to understand and serve our membership better;
- information about devices you use to access our Site/App, your Internet connection, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- directly from you when you provide it to us;
- automatically as you visit our Site/App (may include device details, usage details, IP addresses, information collected through cookies/web beacons/other tracking technologies, GPS-based data, and other data); and,
- from certain third parties, such as business partners and promotional partners.
Information You Provide to Us
Information we collect over the phone, in person or electronically may include:
- information you give us during consultations and service visits or by filling in forms, including information provided at the time of Site registration, App download, service request, price quote request, or the posting of material on or communications to our Site/App;
- information you provide when entering a contest or promotion sponsored by us, or when reporting a problem with our Site/App;
- records and copies of your correspondence with Take It Away, including email addresses and attachments;
- your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes;
- details of your transactions with us during consultations, service visits, or through our Site/App, and of the fulfillment of your service requests (including financial information you may provide when placing an order on our Site/App); and,
- your questions to your concierge and your searches conducted on our Site/App.
Technology Devices, Usage Details, IP Addresses, Cookies, etc.
When you use our Site/App, we may automatically collect certain information about your device and browsing activity, including:
- details of your visits including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data, and what resources you access and use;
- information about your computer and Internet connection including IP address, operating system and browser;
- information about your smart phone/other mobile device(s) and connection.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not identify any individual. It helps us to improve our Site/App and to deliver better personalized service by enabling us to:
- estimate audience size and usage patterns;
- speed up your searches; and,
- store information about your interests, recognize you when you return, and customize your experience according to your preferences.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain Site/App features may use local stored objects (or “Flash cookies”) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Site/App. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information in this Privacy Statement.
- Web Beacons. Our Site/App pages and service emails may contain small electronic files known as “web beacons” (also called clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs). Web beacons permit us, for example, to count users who visit a page or open an email, and to do other useful things like measure the popularity of new content or verify system security.
Although we may tie this information to Personal Information that we collect from other sources or that you provide to us or supply by actions such as logging in to your Take It Away account, we do not collect Personal Information automatically.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you give us, including any Personal Information:
- to provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- to notify you about changes to our services and any related capabilities we offer through our Site/App;
- to provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices for certain services we provide;
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any agreements entered into between you and us, including those for billing and collection;
- to present our Site/App to you and allow you to participate in interactive features;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it, or in any other way we describe when you provide the information;
- for any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please tell your concierge. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
We may use information we have collected from you to enable us to display offers to our advertisers’ target audiences. We do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, but if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement the advertiser may assume that you meet its targeting criteria.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose information that does not identify any individual and aggregated information about our Members without restriction.
We may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide as described in this statement:
- to our subsidiaries, affiliates or franchisees;
- to contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it solely for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Members and Site/ App users is among the assets transferred;
- to third parties to market their products or services to you, only if you have consented to/not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. For more information, see Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; or
- with your consent.
We may also disclose personal information:
- to comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any valid government or regulatory request;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Take It Away, our Members, employees, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information
Our goal is to provide you with control and choices regarding the personal information you give us. The following mechanisms can be used to control how your information is collected and used:
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. We will not share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes without your express prior consent.
- Promotional Offers from Take It Away. If you do not wish us to use your email address or other contact information to promote our services to you, you can opt out by telling your concierge (and in the future, by adjusting your Take It Away account preferences online). This opt-out does not apply to information you provide to Take It Away as a result of an inquiry, purchase, ongoing service agreement (monthly storage, etc.), or other transactions.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to avoid having your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) here on the NAI website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
Review or update your personal information at any time by contacting your concierge, or email email@example.com to access, correct, or delete personal information that you have given us. Deleting all your personal information requires deletion of your Take It Away account. We accommodate all requests to update/delete personal information unless we believe the change would violate legal requirements or cause the information to be incorrect.
We maintain measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls, and payment transactions are encrypted using Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL).
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. When we give you, or you choose, a password for Take It Away Site/App access, you are responsible for keeping it confidential. We strongly advise you not to share your password with anyone, and urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Site/App, as information shared in public areas may be viewed by any user.
Unfortunately, transmission of information via the public Internet cannot be made completely secure. Although we do our utmost to protect you, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site/App, and any such transmission is ultimately at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on our Site/App.
Changes to Our Privacy Statement
If we make material changes to how we treat our Members’ personal information we will notify you through an email to the address specified in your account and/or a notice posted here. The date of the most recent Privacy Statement revision is at the top of this statement. You are responsible for ensuring that we have an up-to-date, active and deliverable email address for you.
To ask questions or comment about our Privacy Statement or privacy practices, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.